About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Review: "The Screaming Staircase" (Lockwood & Co. #1) by Jonathan Stroud

 Synopsis:


When the dead come back to haunt the living, Lockwood & Co. step in . . .

For more than fifty years, the country has been affected by a horrifying epidemic of ghosts. A number of Psychic Investigations Agencies have sprung up to destroy the dangerous apparitions.

Lucy Carlyle, a talented young agent, arrives in London hoping for a notable career. Instead she finds herself joining the smallest, most ramshackle agency in the city, run by the charismatic Anthony Lockwood. When one of their cases goes horribly wrong, Lockwood & Co. have one last chance of redemption. Unfortunately this involves spending the night in one of the most haunted houses in England, and trying to escape alive.

Set in a city stalked by spectres, The Screaming Staircase is the first in a chilling new series full of suspense, humour and truly terrifying ghosts. Your nights will never be the same again . . .
*(summary courtesy of Goodreads)


My Review:
 
Okay so...this book was released last year, but in one of my rare moods I just had to read it before reading the sequel. I am pleased to announce that I am a new fan of Jonathan Stroud and the Lockwood & Co. series! It has officially filled the Percy Jackson and the Olympians withdrawal I have been experiencing lately.
 
Man, oh man, I adored the story! The idea of ghosts becoming what goes bump in the night was chilling. I liked the part that mainly children were able to fight ghosts, as they are more psychically open; especially since that has been a common belief in the real world. The only sucky part of this fictional universe is having to worry about being ghost touched (read the book and find out what that is. No spoilers here people!).
 
It is in first person POV and you're seeing (or reading, if you want to get technical) everything through Lucy's, our protagonist, eyes. This is a adventure/ mystery kind of book, which is sort of neat. There were multiple plots going on, so I wasn't exactly sure how they were going to be resolved or tie in, but alas, Stroud surprised me by tying every loose end into a cute little red bow. Also, I'm mostly sure that tis book is geared more towards preteens or even YA, but I believe even adults would heavily enjoy this book.
 
The characters were young, of course. I say that because: 1. they were immature at times;  2. naive every once in a while; and 3. could grate on your nerves. As I said, they are young so what do you expect? Although on a personal note, I don't think I eve acted like that, but who knows? Maybe I did and that's why my mom was always shaking her head at the things I said or did.  
 
Lucy, Anthony and George are like the Three Musketeers meets the Ghostbusters. They each bring something different to the table, which may be why they are as cohesive as a well oiled machine. George, by far, is my favorite with his dry humor and sarcasm. Anthony's quick wit and leadership is appreciated as well as  Lucy's...uh...being a girl? LOL just kidding everyone.
This is a great read and easily one of my new favorites! I recommend a read. And believe me, you will love it! (Or else....) just kidding again haha.

440 pages
Published August 29th 2013 by Doubleday Children’s Books


Rating:  🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔  


Recommend?   Yeah Yeah Yeah!
separador

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers