About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Review: "The Bodies We Wear" (The Bodies We Wear #1) by Jeyn Roberts



Synopsis:

A streetwise girl trains to take on a gang of drug dealers and avenge her best friend’s death in this thriller for fans of Scott Westerfeld and Robin Wasserman.

People say when you take Heam, your body momentarily dies and you catch a glimpse of heaven. Faye was only eleven when dealers forced Heam on her and her best friend, Christian. But Faye didn’t glimpse heaven—she saw hell. And Christian died.

Now Faye spends her days hiding her secret from the kids at school, and her nights training to take revenge on the men who destroyed her life and murdered her best friend. But life never goes the way we think it will. When a mysterious young man named Chael appears, Faye's plan suddenly gets a lot more complicated. Chael seems to know everything about her, including her past. But too many secrets start tearing her world apart: trouble at school, with the police, and with the people she thought might be her friends. Even Gazer, her guardian, fears she's become too obsessed with vengeance. Love and death. Will Faye overcome her desires, or will her quest for revenge consume her?
(*summary courtesy of Goodreads)
 
 
My Review:
 
When first reading the premise, I had envisioned a Kill Bill-esque, teenage book. I love a good, old testament story, where the protagonist is a total alpha female! Unfortunately this book wasn't as good as I had hoped.
 
The story just dragged on and on; the only thing that kept me from putting the book down was the anticipation of the "revenge" part of the plot actually jumpstarting. Every single time Faye mentioned revenge and killing, I kept thinking "put up or shut up!" All I seemed to be reading was either: a) Faye was training; b) Faye was at school; or c) Faye was interacting with Gazer or Chael. Those were basically the main scenarios throughout the story.
 
Speaking of Chael, every time I heard this name, I thought of Chael Sonnen LOL. He seemed like a nice guy who really cared about Faye; the situation of how he was able to take possession of another body was a bit freaky though. Also, I find it amusing that I was able to guess who he really was before Faye. Strange, seeing as she is supposed to notice every minute detail and recognize familiarity- I mean, she is a supposed "assassin". Faye was an okay but average character. I didn't really feel any particular way about her. Although at times, I did admire her bravery and pride. I did enjoy, albeit more than I should have, how she could kick some butt! I would have to say that Gazer was my favorite character; he was realistic about wanting revenge and just seemed like someone I would want to be my dad.
 
While reading, it was unfortunate to learn of how they, the fictional characters, treat Heam users. I did feel like it was an injustice, almost like the whole civil rights issue but not as worse. There's a romance element to the story between Chael and Faye, which felt unnecessary. It basically felt forced and threw the story off track. Maybe I will see the whole point of the romance aspect by the next book. It also seemed to me that every scene Chael and Faye shared, the former was trying to talk the latter out of killing. It makes me wonder if the author was trying to bait those interested in revenge/killing stories, and the talk about forgiveness in a "I'm shaking my finger at you reproachfully, while reprimanding you on your behavior" way.
 
Never the less, I still generally liked that there was a lesson to learn about the power of forgiveness, and I am glad Faye finally learned it. I was pleased that, for the most part, things worked out for Faye. I can't this book was exceptional, but it wasn't horrible either.
 
Favorite Quotes:
 
"I've made more hateful," he argues back. "All I wanted to do was give you confidence. Help you grow stronger so you'd be prepared if you were attacked again. Until you can let go of that hate, only then will you be ready." - Gazer
 
368 pages
Expected publication: September 23rd 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Rating:  🔔🔔🔔
Recommend:   It was okay. Possibly would recommend.
separador

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I srsly wanted to read this n am kinda mad it isn't bomb

Post a Comment

Followers