About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Review: "Trial by Fire" (The Worldwalker Trilogy #1) by Josephine Angelini



Synopsis:
This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.
                                                                                               *(summary courtesy of Goodreads)

My Review:
I love the idea of multiple dimensions/worlds and versions of yourself. So, naturally, it should come as no shock why I was drawn to this book. Besides, it has witches and not your grand papi's witches. SALEM witches--the original O.G witches. On a side note, I love the cover...so wicked cool!
I wasn't sure if I was going to love these characters--I'm a reader who likes to see some depth and character development. I don't like to take them at face value...there needs to be substance, as characters can make or break a book for me. I'm not saying that these ones are deeper than  the deep, blue sea, but they each have a little backstory that is revealed as the story unfolds and progresses the overall plot. These characters were very real and relatable--with flaws; yet they were trying to b e better than their past mistakes. I understood Rowan; his anger and unwillingness to forgive and forget. Lillian was also a trip to read. I am very curious as to why she's doing what she is, and just what did she see in another dimensional world. Tristan and Caleb were some pretty funny friends and character foils. Lily is pretty amazing as well. She's like a breath of fresh air with her easygoing but fierce attitude. Every once in a while I will root for the bad guys, i.e Carrick and Gideon. This is not one of those times. But I would like to understand what Carrick's motivation for his deeds are...I already know Gideon's.
Back to the story, it's pretty engaging and doesn't stray too far into fantasy: it has a decent fusion between fantasy and reality. I definitely got lost into the world that Josephine Angelini has created, and I want to go back (I'm impatiently awaiting the second book in the series)! Admittedly, I'm really liking where this story is heading and the message it's sending about nuclear weapons: they're catastrophic. Anyways,  I enjoyed the sexual tension between Lily and Rowan, and the gradual relationship from enemies to friends to lovers. Ahh! Young love...
This book will make you ponder on the likeliness of alternate worlds, and just who you may or not be if you were to travel to a different one. Would I be smarter or dumber? Less athletic? More sickly? Who knows! What I do know is this book is good.
384 pages
Expected publication: September 2nd 2014 by Feiwel & Friends
Rating:  🔔🔔🔔🔔
Recommend?   Yes, I do. I do. I do.
separador

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers