About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Review: "Dark Paradise," (Dark Paradise #1) by Angie Sandro


Synopsis:
Mala LaCroix has spent her whole life trying to escape her destiny. As the last in a long line of "witch women," she rejects the notion of spirits and hoodoo and instead does her best to blend in. But when she finds a dead body floating in the bayou behind her house, Mala taps into powers she never knew she had. She's haunted by visions of the dead girl, demanding justice and vengeance.

DEADLY SECRETS

Landry Prince has always had a crush on Mala, but when Mala discovers his sister, murdered and marked in some sort of Satanic ritual, he wonders if all the rumors about the LaCroix family are true. Yet after Mala uses her connection to the spirit world to identify his sister's killer, he starts to form his own bond to her . . . a very physical one. As they move closer to each other and closer to the truth, Mala and Landry must risk everything—their families, their love, and even their lives.
*(summary courtesy of Goodreads)

 
My Review:
 
 This is Angie Sandro's debut novel, and I must say that this book exceeded my expectations.  It's not everyday you encounter a New Adult book involving voodoo/ hoodoo; especially when it is done so well.  The writing painted an impressive picture of a gator-populated, hoodoo-rich, below-sea-level Louisiana.  I have never been to Louisiana in my life, but I could picture it perfectly. I rather enjoyed some of the dialogue as well. The sassiness and sarcasm of Mala kept me well entertained. 
 
I liked Mala's character, but sometimes she came off as silly or naive to me.  This would be understandable if she wasn't already out of high school.  I felt she was too passive at times, but maybe she knew it wasn't the time or place to fight back.  Other than that, I could understand her anguish over everything that happened to her.  Although I don't know why the townspeople would try to torment someone they thought was a witch. I kept expecting her to go all Marie Laveau on them.  Landry was adorkable one minute, and a jerk the next!  And he let everyone's thoughts affect his own. But he definitely grew on me and is totally swoon worthy!

This book had elements of mystery and suspense, which really keeps the reader engrossed in the story.  There are many characters, so you have to keep an eye out for who the bad guy is and uncover the mystery.  It is supposed to be in the New Adult genre, but at times read more like a YA book.  There wasn't that much voodoo or witchcraft in this book, but I'm sure there will be in the next book. I can't wait!

400 pages
Published July 1st 2014 by Forever Yours

Rating:   🔔🔔🔔🔔

Recommend?    Yes! Anyone who enjoys paranormal romance with a 
                            dash of mystery should read this.               

separador

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers