About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Review: "Unwept" (The Nightbirds #1) by Tracy Hickman, Laura Hickman


Synopsis:
Gamin, Maine, is a remote seaside town where everyone seems to know Ellis Harkington better than she knows herself—but she doesn’t remember any of them.

Unknown events have robbed Ellis of her memory. Concerned individuals, who purport to be her friends and loved ones, insist that she simply needs to recuperate, that her memories may return in time, but refuse to divulge what has brought her to this state. For her own sake, so they say.

Ellis finds herself adrift in a town of ominous mysteries, cryptic hints, and disturbingly familiar strangers. The Nightbirds, a clique of fashionable young men and women, claim her as one of their own, but who among them can she truly trust? And what of the phantom suitor who visits her in her dreams? Is he a memory, a figment of her imagination, or a living nightmare beyond rational explanation?

Only her lost past hold the answers she seeks—if she can uncover its secrets before she fall prey to an unearthly killer.
*(summary courtesy of Goodreads)


My Review:
 
I really thought this might be good, but unfortunately it wasn't.  I feel like I was bamboozled.  I almost don't know where to start with this book.
 
The pacing was way too slow.  I was bored to tears at first, and very nearly put the book down.  The characters were lackluster and unremarkable.  It felt like a chore just finishing the book.  The twist near the end of the book was kind of random, honestly.  The whole book left me feeling crazy myself.
 
Ellis was just too passive aggressive, which infuriates me.  I get that she is supposed to be suffering from some sort of amnesia, but dont act like you remember something and then backtrack later.  Merrick needs to calm his butt down and quit acting like the smug, psycho dentist creeping around with ether.  Jenny needs to take a hint and quit acting like a dog in heat.  And every other character should just get a life. Oh right, easier said than done in this book. 
 
I kept asking myself what was going every couple of pages.  This story was hard to follow and not well written if I might add.  The flow wasn't smooth at all.  Too bland for my tastes.

272 pages
Published July 1st 2014 by Tor Books

Rating:  🔔🔔
 
Recommend?    Not really.
separador

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers