About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review: "Queen of Hearts" (Queen of Hearts Saga #1) by Colleen Oakes



Synopsis:
Not every fairytale has a happy ending.
This is the story of a princess who became a villain.
***
A Father’s Betrayal. A Kingdom with a Black Secret. A Princess Slowly Unraveling.

As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood best friend, the future Knave of Hearts — and the love of her life.

When an enchanting stranger arrives at the Palace, Dinah watches as everything she’s ever wanted threatens to crumble. As her coronation date approaches, a series of suspicious and bloody events suggests that something sinister stirs in the whimsical halls of Wonderland. It’s up to Dinah to unravel the mysteries that lurk both inside and under the Palace before she loses her own head to a clever and faceless foe.

Part epic fantasy, part twisted fairy tale, this dazzling saga will have readers shivering as Dinahs furious nature sweeps Wonderland up in the maelstrom of her wrath.

Familiar characters such as Cheshire, the White Rabbit, and the Mad Hatter make their appearance, enchanting readers with this new, dark take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
*(summary courtesy of Goodreads)

 
My Review:
 
First off, is it just me or have a lot of recent books been based on fairytales?  This isn't the first book I have read of late that was reimagining of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  What should have been a picturesque book with flawless writing,  turned out to be the complete opposite.  I originally thought it had everything it needed to be a fan-freaking-tastic series:
 
Wonderland?  Check.
Characters we love?  Check.
Characters we love to hate? Check
Beheadings?  Check. Check.
Alice?  I looked high and low and saw no Alice.
Action? Check.
Romance? Check mate.
 
Sadly no.  I wanted to throw this book at the wall more than once.  Trust me, I was tempted.  The lead, Dinah, is supposed to be 17 years old, but she behaves like a toddler.  I know she's supposed to have a blind fury, but she just took it to astronomical levels!  I was questioning motives during the entire book.  So many things were unclear but the story almost acted like it told you twenty pages ago!  I had questions like: Why does the Chesire hate her to begin with?  Did the King of Hearts kill Dinah's mother, Davianna?  Is Vittiore his lover?  Things I NEEDED to know. 
 
And what is up with the way the King treats Dinah?  He treats and loathes her like she's the bastard child that pissed in his cheerios that morning.  The King just "conveniently" happens to have a bastard who he crowned "Duchess Vittiore", and she's TOO perfect.  I can tell.  No one is without some flaw: crooked teeth, body odor, horrible personality, speech impediment. 
 
I did feel a little empathy for Dinah, though.  I know what it's like to have a father who wishes he had a more "favorable" daughter. Or even son, perhaps.  I feel like the King must be intimidated of Dinah (she will be a ruler to behold).  For Pete's sake, and the guards and servants! I don't know why they are as stupid and/or comfortable enough to constantly insult her.  I have no worries though, because it will be "OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!".
 
The Black Tower description was like a rip off of Game of Thrones, to be honest.  The supposed romance was forced, and Wardley felt more like a companion in a strictly platonic way.  The characters and plot were a little dry;  Mad Hatter was my favorite of all of them.  I wish Dinah would listen to the signs as said in the book, and stop play dumb with her finger up her butt.  This book was just okay, but I might tune in for the next just to see if it suddenly becomes a masterpiece.
 
222 pages
Published February 14th 2014 by SparkPress

 
Rating: 🔔🔔🔔
Recommend?   Worth a read if you have patience

separador

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers