About Me

bellbookandcandle. Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Review: "The Girl from the Well" by Rin Chupeco



Synopsis:

You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan.

Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out.

The Girl from the Well is A YA Horror novel pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge", based on a well-loved Japanese ghost story.
*(summary courtesy of Goodreads)


 
My Review:
 
How apt the description of Dexter meets The Grudge really is.  Horror is not really my thing unless I'm in a room full of people, with the lights on.  Yet this story was positively entertaining.
 
The ghost element of the story was perfectly executed (no pun intended).  The story of Okiku is actually a real one.  I had known movies were based off of the concept, but truly didn't know that it was a real Japanese folklore story.  How Okiku came to be in the book was sad to read.
 
How the story unfolded was pretty great.  The concept of possession and exorcism was fascinating to read in another culture's POV.  The exorcism scared me though.  I could picture it perfectly, but I would prefer to never have to witness one.  The Smiling Man was absolutely revolting to me; he made my skin crawl. 
 
The characters were irritating at times, though.  Sometimes Tarquin was a brat, but maybe it's understandable with all he's been through.  The cousin, Callie, irritated me to no end!  Every two seconds she's second guessing Okiku's intentions; if it wasn't for Okiku, who knows what would have happened to Callie. Still, it wasn't enough, and she was always ungrateful in every scene she was in.
 
Not that I would want a ghost following me around, but Okiku seems pretty legit; she's totally awesome. On another note: why does Tarquin's mother have the name Yoko?  And her husband is Caucasian as well; it's like an overt hint.  All in All, this book proves a captivating read.
 
304 pages
Expected publication: August 5th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire

Rating:  🔔🔔🔔
 
Recommend?  Yes



separador

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers